Farm Facts: Strawberries
Bright red, fresh strawberries are a spring staple. Did you know that in 2011, the U.S. produced 2.8 billion pounds of these beautiful berries? The crop was valued at almost $2.4 billion. Check out more farm fresh strawberry facts:
Our Favorite Strawberry Recipes
- The average person eats 4.85 pounds of fresh or frozen strawberries every year, according to the USDA.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family.
- On average, a single strawberry contains 200 seeds.
- Strawberries are grown in every state in the country.
- The U.S. accounts for 30 percent of the total world strawberry production.
- California is the nation’s top strawberry producer, followed by Florida and Oregon.
- Many towns in Tennessee celebrate this springtime fruit with a strawberry festival, including Dayton (East), Humboldt (West) and Portland (Middle).