Farm Facts: Farmers Markets
Spring showers bring May flowers – and the start of farmers market season.
SEE ALSO: Farmers Market Recipes
Warmer weather coincides with the opening of farmers markets, which give consumers the opportunity to buy fresh produce directly from the person who grew it. Take a look at some interesting facts about these seasonal markets:
- Not only do markets offer fresh fruits and vegetables, but they also sell plants, flowers, baked goods, artisan products and more.
- The USDA’s National Farmers Market Directory listed 8,144 farmers markets in 2013, up from about 5,000 just five years earlier.
- Tennessee has approximately 129 farmers markets across the state.
- Most new farmers markets are popping up in small towns and rural communities, not big cities.
- National Farmers Market Week is celebrated each August.
- Farmers markets have become more than just a place to buy food. Many have live music, theme days and other events to get consumers involved.
Find a Tennessee farmers market near you at picktnproducts.org.