Farm Facts: Apples
Fresh, juicy apples are abundant in the fall, popping up in delicious apple pies, refreshing apple cider and ready for picking at lots of Tennessee orchards. Take a look at some interesting facts about the fruit:
- About 65 percent of the U.S. apple crop is grown for fresh consumption, while the rest goes for processing, including juice and fresh slices.
- The United States grows nearly 100 varieties of apples in commercial production. The top varieties are Red Delicious, Gala and Golden Delicious.
- The United States has approximately 7,500 apple producers who grow the fruit on approximately 363,000 acres.
- Apples are produced in all parts of Tennessee.
- Typically, Tennessee produces close to 9 million pounds of apples between June and the end of October.
Now that you’re caught up on apple knowledge, learn how to peel, core and chop and apple, then make any of our delicious apple recipes.